Happy Pagan Movie Night|
[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 12 most recent journal entries recorded in
Happy Pagan Movie Night's LiveJournal:
|Monday, May 26th, 2008|
|Tuesday, August 15th, 2006|
August was Disney month.
Brother bear, The sword in the stone, Snow white and Beauty and the beast.
Nobody has been comming to the Oahu setions. The are cancelled do to personal stress and until people start showing intrest again. I'll be posting the info for the movies to the for the folks off island.
Hope to be back soon,
|Thursday, August 10th, 2006|
Will there be an HPMN next week? If so, what is the movie, so I can let folks know.
|Tuesday, June 13th, 2006|
Faeries a True Story
This is a simple fabrication of the Lady Cottingham accounts. It's a sweet movie with tons of historal snips that may or may not be full of truthiness. I like the Froud methos better. I would also reccomend Phototgraphing Faeries
. It's on Scifi all the time so tape/tivo it.
1. How accurate you you feel it is?
2. Does having famos people interact with the story help or hurt the plot.?
3. What typical faery-land rules does it use? What ones does it break?
4. This follows the Hollywood idea that only inocent girls can see faeries, unicorns, ect. How does this work/not work in our world.
5. Pagan gateway movie, yes or no?
6. Does this movie help or hurt our image?
see you next week,
Joie Current Mood: pensive
|Tuesday, June 6th, 2006|
Faerie movie month - Labyrinth
Welcome to a new month of HPMN.
Most children of the late 70's early 80's know this movie well. Let's relive this one together.
1. How does this movie follow the typical rules of "faerieland"?
2. What would happen to Toby is he would have been turned into a 'changling'?
3. Goblin King, is he the same enity as Oberon?
4. How are the faerie beings in this movie differ or the same as in your own personal version of faerie beings?
5. Would this be one of those famous 'gateway' movies?
6. Does it help or harm our image?
|Tuesday, May 30th, 2006|
Bednobs and Broomsticks
Movie night on Oahu is canclelled tonight due to the fact that my husband just got the smallpox vaccine. I'm not to happy about the vaccine, which is beyond the point. I don't think my house is very safe at the momnet. I'll right the questions anyway due to the fact that't it's a g raded movie, it most likely wouldn't have been watched anyway.
1. Finally, a movie that has positive witch images! Is there any truth to it?
2. It has a similar feel to it as, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, disuss the pro/cons.
3. A long distance training system. This has worked in the past, why wouldn't it work now?
4. Witchraft without Goddess worship, does this work for you?
5. What were the big no-nos that happened in this movie. What would have truley been the result of massive necromancy?
6. Good or bad for our image?
|Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006|
Kiki's Delivery Service
So I reclaimed Other kinds of witches month. Next Month we'll do Faeries in honor Midsummer. Start giving your requests now. Current Mood: okay
1. Who do you think hears Gigi?
2. What was the reason Kiki lost her powers? Why do you think they were given back?
3. What doo you think of this version of a rite of passage?
4. How is this differn that what we do? How is it like 'typic hollywood witches'? How is it like Hogwarts?
5. Do this movie help or hurt of image?
|Wednesday, May 17th, 2006|
It seems that the "if the mob demands it" rule has gotten out of control. We were supposed to be watching Bednobs and Broomsticks
and if someone was unhappy then Spirted Away
. There was more than an uprising that happened. I finally gave up and that's why I didn't post yesterday on the correct date. I have given up controll of this month, and will wait untill June to recaim the throne.
1. Is this a good 'Hollywood' intepetation of the epic poem? A gold star to everyone who has read it. A Silver star to everyone who has seen it performed in some mannor at a Ren fest. A green start if you have even heard of it.
2. This this society Christain morals still rule even though the relgion itself is no more. Why do you think this is likey/unlikely
3. In pagan Scotland/ Ireland/Greece children of unwed mothers were treated as children of Gods. This movie has the same blessing as a dishonor. Why would a child of an actual God then be treated as "the Danmed" insteed of a Demigod, like Herc or Jesus?
4. Why do you think Christopher Lambert always need to play a superhuman guy? Do you think it's in his contract? Do you think he's in the broom closet?
5. Did the wepons in this movie seem more human or less than the ones we are using nowadays?
6. Does this movie help or hurt the Pagan image?
See you guys tuesday. Current Mood: determined
|Tuesday, May 9th, 2006|
Wizard of Oz
I know that the mob will moan and groan over this one. I will hopefull get to convince them that this is a great oppertunity to talk about sterotypes and hidden meanings. Everyone knows this movie, so let's just jump to talking points and questions.
1. The professor in the tent has some very interesting things around him, why do you think they are there?
2. Talk about the sybolism of the tornado and pointy witches hats. What about Toto?
3. Pagan speaking, why would the APPLE trees be talking?
4. What would be the four travlers meaning in tarot? What about today's society?
5. How does witches as wicked hurt us. What about witches as sparkly girly girls?
6. Does help or hurt our image?
|Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006|
Other Kind Of Witches Month-Howl's Moving Castle
Well a new month, and a new theme. I went with Other Kinds of Witches
becuase it was time for some lighter movies. We have had some very serious discutions as of late, and it was time for something less stressful. Howl's Moving Castle
is a very sweet movie by , you guerssed it, Hayao Miyazaki. In this world there is steam technologly along with magic(k). It seems a lighter world than ours yet, there is still, war, hate, and deception.
1. Sophie's curse, was it mean, or just what she needed?
2. Who was the villan/villaness in this movie?
3. What is the symbology with Howl's other form?
4. Was Turnip Head the desired love interest?
5. Do the witches/wizards in this movie follow the same magical rules that we follow?
6. Does this hurt or help or image as Pagans? Current Mood: peaceful
|Tuesday, April 25th, 2006|
April was supposed to be "Relgion gone bad" but the last two weeks there has been a revolt. Brotherhood of the Wolf
and The Village
both worked nicely but when it was week three, Stargate
the complaing began. Even though Stargate
had "pagan" root over the Xtrain ones the other movies did, everyone huffed and puffed bacause EVERONE has seen Stargate
at least twenty times. I asked it we could just discuss it ? Complaints. Kuno asked it we instead wanted to watch the pliot of Stargate SG1
. Even with the promise of breasts, the crowd was unsatifuied. I decied it's time to fall back on some Hayao Miyazaki. I asked if anyone didn't thinkl the worms in Dune
wern't cool? Finally an agrement. We watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
. And for those who have not seen it, it's a great film about Mother Earth fighting back. The mod was pleased. They wanted more. One of the favorate standards of HPMN is Princess Mononoke
. It was actually the very first DVD I ever bought. I think anyone who hasen't seen it should run not walk to the closest Blockbuster to rent it. With most of Miyazaki's films, the theme is closely reated to living with the Earth not agnist it. Don't let that its animation fool you. it's very bloody and tear jerking.
1. Was Ashitaka truely cursed, or was he chosen to fullfill a quest?
2. What do the Kadoma (tree spirits) symbolise to you?
3. Who is the "villan/villaness" in this film?
4. Who do you think is more corropt in this film, relgious/government establishment or industry?
5. And the standad question: Does whatching this movie portay Pagans in a posative or negative what? Does this move help or hurt our image.
Enjoy the movie,
Joie Current Mood: thoughtful
|Sunday, April 23rd, 2006|
Welcome to HPMN
Happy Pagan Movie Night was born four years ago in Fayetteville NC, when my husband, Kuno, came out of the broom closet. After giving away books and countless speaches to his friends at work, he was exhausted. I finally said, "Why don't you just have your friends over and I'll talk to them." One weekend, four muggle men came into my living room convinced that their buddy was in a cult. After pizza, a few beers and alot of misunderstandings later, I had had it. I finally turned on the DVD player, put in Practical Magic
saying "yes" and "no" and well it's more complicated than that" and a bunch of "that's simply hollywood". I was amazing enough that I had four very manly men in my living room watching a "Chick flick", but after it was over we really talked. They understood what my husband and I belived in . In fact the next week three of them came over and watched The Craft
with us. I decied that I had stumpled on a good thing.
Thus, Happy Pagan Movie Night was born. It's been four years and a move to Hawaii later and it's still going strong.
We found out not only is it a great tool to let our muggle friends understand us better, it's really fun for us Pagans too.
In my home every Tuesday a group of friend veering in size from two to twenty, with ages from still in belly to seventy, watch a movie and talk about it.
If someone objects to the movie plans, we work with them, we always take requests.
It seemed a shame for my friends who I have moved away from and everyone I have yet to met not to be having these wonderful moments for movies and friends, so for all of you not living on Oahu, I have decided to go cyber.
I promise ot hve a new movie up every Tuesday with questions and a full report on the gathering in the "MotherBase". I hope everyone will join in to the conversation on the web and maybe start your own nights and use this as an guide.
Can't wait to met all of you,
Joie (or Goo) Current Mood: giggly